Ground lamb is a versatile ingredient that cooks similarly to ground beef, making it an easy substitute in your favorite recipes. If you’re tired of the same old burger, the mild and sweet flavor of lamb provides a delightful complement to robust and strong flavors, opening up a world of creative possibilities.
Whether you’re seasoning the meat, making condiments, or choosing side dishes, here’s a list of some of our favorite spices and flavor profiles that pair exceptionally well with lamb: mint, lemon zest or peel, cumin, rosemary, garlic, black pepper, oregano, fenugreek, turmeric, cloves, curry blends, and Baharat blends.
Feel free to experiment by incorporating these spices directly into your burger, mixing them into mayonnaise or other condiments, or even creating a refreshing slaw side with lemon and mint. Let your imagination soar and enjoy the process!
Now, let’s dive into the basics of cooking a grass-fed lamb burger. The good news is that you can prepare it using the same methods as a grass-fed beef patty.
- 1 lb Amber Oaks Ranch Grassfed Ground Lamb
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 buns, toasted
- Assorted burger toppings of your choice (see list above)
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground lamb, 1.5 tsp of kosher salt, and a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions and gently shape them into patties about 3/4″ thick.
- Heat a grill pan, cast iron skillet, or grill over medium-high heat.
- Add the lamb patties to the pan or grill and cook until they are lightly charred and cooked to medium-rare, approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the patties from the grill or pan.
- Load your toasted burger buns with the ground lamb patties and your preferred toppings from the list above.
- Season with additional salt to taste if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious grassfed lamb burgers!